1. Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
- Euripides, The Bacchae
2. Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
3. Common sense is not so common.
- Voltaire, A Pocket Philosophical Dictionary
4. Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.
- Ray Bradbury
5. Things do not change; we change.
- Henry David Thoreau
6. There is nothing new under the sun.
7. The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.
- Thomas A. Edison
8. Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain
- Henry Ford
9. Time makes more converts than reason.
- Thomas Paine, Common Sense
10. Better to shun the bait than struggle in the snare.
- William Blake
11. The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.
- Vladimir Nabokov
12. Never assume the obvious is true.
- William Safire
13. Never raise your hand to your children - it leaves your midsection unprotected
- Robert Orben
14. Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it.
- René Descartes, Discourse on Method
15. There is no wisdom where there is no common sense: it cannot under those conditions find any expression.
- Idries Shah
16. The truth is: Everyone will judge you. But this depends upon your intellectual capacity whether you are able to distinguish constructive criticism between an insult coming from other people's opinions about you.
17. John Locke invented common sense, and only Englishmen have had it ever since!
- Bertrand Russell
18. Rarus enim ferme sensus communis in illa Fortuna.
[Generally common sense is rare in that (higher) rank.]
- Juvenal, Satires, Book I
19. Society is always taken by surprise at any new example of common sense.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
20. Beauty is intellectually confusing; it sabotages common sense.
- P.D. James
21. New Rule: If you can force a woman to look at a sonogram—to see what will happen if she has an abortion—you also have to let her see a crying baby, a bratty five-year-old, and a surly teenager to see what will happen if she doesn’t. And you have to tell her it costs $204,000 to raise it until it turns eighteen, in 2028, where it will be a slave to the Chinese, in a radioactive world with no animals, fish, or plants.
- Bill Maher
22. Short cuts make long delays.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
23. I do not believe in God, because I believe in man. Whatever his mistakes, man has for thousands of years been working to undo the botched job your god has made.
- Emma Goldman
24. Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something.
- Gertrude Stein
25. You can always start over the next day.
- B. Anonymous
26. Which is it? Is man only a blunder of God? Or is God only a blunder of man?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
27. We know that the war against intelligence is always waged in the name of common sense.
- Roland Barthes
Thank you for reading.
If you found this list useful, please share this with your friends and family.
There are 200+ guides to succeeding in business, career and personal life in The Success Manual. Get the pdf ebook for $12 only.