Copywriting in a nutshell:
- Say something that gets attention. (The main benefit statement – which is targeted at a big problem for your target customer)
E.g. 'Save your hard-earned money and precious time by...'
- Tell them why they should be interested. (severity of their problem/needs, and benefits of your product/solution)
E.g. 'Stop wasting money on useless, repetitive books that do nothing to help your career.'
- Tell them why they should believe what you are saying is true. (Handle objections)
E.g. 'This is cheaper than a Starbucks cup of coffee.'
- Prove it is true. (Collect and show all Testimonials).
Give links to testimonials from customers on Facebook, Twitter, blogs etc. Include their picture (if this is a web page.)
- Itemize and describe all benefits. (bullet list)
- Establish Your Uniqueness: The one thing that makes you stand out from others.
E.g. 'The first and only book of its kind.'
- Tell them how to order.
- Tell them to order now.
- The Risk Reversal (e.g. 30-day return policy)
- Make sure the right people see your ad/sales letter
Avoid sugary testimonials.
Testimonials that work tell a story.
- The best testimonials share the concerns and hesitation someone had before buying: 'I was concerned about the technology or I wasn’t sure it would be worth the investment.'
- They talk about what happened as a result of buying: 'The return on investment was almost immediate.'
- They highlight a specific feature or benefit: 'The software helped identify new opportunities for growth.'
- They list additional benefits: 'I’m a more confident more energized more knowledgeable business owner.'
- They make a recommendation: 'If you’re looking for ways to build a stronger more credible online presence ABC Company can help.'
(Source: 'The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (and Why They Don't) ' by Sean D'Souza
Thank you for reading.
If you found this guide useful, please share this with your friends and family.
There are 200+ guides to succeeding in business, career and personal life in The Success Manual. Get the pdf ebook for $12 only.